Download the Home Safe Brochure
Home should be a place where you and your family can enjoy safety and security.
Criminals are often opportunists, and will will target homes with poor home security to steal belongings.
You can secure your home by taking a few simple steps which will significantly lower the risk of your home being the target of thieves.
Here are some simple steps we all can take to protect our home.
Secure your home
- Fit quality security doors, windows, locks, alarms, lighting and warning signs
- Secure all windows and doors
- Activate your alarm, smoke detectors and security lighting
- Lock your gates, sheds and garages
Check your home
- Ensure your street number is clearly visible
- Keep trees and shrubs trimmed to improve visibility around your home
- Lock away items such as ladders, tools and gardening equipment
- Don’t leave spare keys outside the home
- Don’t leave valuables, mobile devices or keys (home or vehicle) in clear view
- Mark valuable property and record details
When away from home
- Use a timer to activate an internal light or radio to give the impression someone is home
- Have family, a trusted friend or neighbour check on your home. Inform them of your travel plans, park a vehicle in the driveway, collect the garbage bins and mail
- Consider redirecting your mail, newspapers and deliveries
- Never advertise your travel on social media sites
For further information about protecting your home, please download the Home Safe brochure.
For more crime prevention information visit www.police.nsw.gov.au